Is Star Trek New Voyages Dead?

This is where you can ask questions that do not relate to a specific episode
Admin
Site Admin

Is Star Trek New Voyages Dead?

Post by Admin »

[ADMIN NOTE: This thread was originally posted in an earlier version of the forum]

Originally posted by: freakygerbil on 05-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Has Star Trek New Voyages reached the end of the road? I never received my perk from the last Kickstarter project and there is no communication. The social media pages are taken down also well, it all looks very.... final

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is Star Trek New Voyages Dead?

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by Nicolas Petit on 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM

No, New Voyages not dead !

The American website is currently down but the European one is still active at www.stnv.de
For the Kickstarter perks, a message has been sent on may 7th to deal with the 2014 Kickstarter and asking who still has not received anything yet. The same day, another message asked for address. It means sending the perks is in progress for the 2014 edition and the 2015 one will be next.
Please try to access your Kickstarter account and check if your personal information is correct and if there is no message waiting for reading there.

Regards,
Nicolas.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by: FanSarah on 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM

I read your answer to question is ST:NV dead on May 16, 2016, where you said no, however the website is still down. James Cawley took down the Facebook page, and more recently negotiated daily tours with CBS. Daily tours does not look promising to new episodes. I am aware of the current guidelines and the negotiations that Axanar and others are currently in with CBS/Paramount. I also read that James Cawley was fed up.

1. When will the American website come back?

2. Will the American presence only come back after CBS/Paramount creates reasonable guidelines?

3. Did ST:NV give up filming new voyages?

4. Will we still be able to watch Torment of Destiny, Bread and Circuses, and the other new episodes currently in production?

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by: GaryEvans on 07-15-2016, 09:02 PM

First, for those who do not know who I am, I am Gary Evans co-executive producer at Retro Film Studios LLC, the production group that did New Voyages / Phase II - a Star Trek fan film.

The questions asked:

1. When will the American website come back? **The New Voyages website will NOT be restarted. All materials on the internet elsewhere will remain on their respective sites. Any future New Voyages activity will be announced via The German Website maintained by Peter Walker. CBS has assured James Cawley and stated publicly that series and episodes released prior to 23 June 2016 will NOT be subject of any CBS complaints, meaning they can continue to be viewed, downloaded or whatever as has been done the past 12 years by New Voyages.

2. Will the American presence only come back after CBS/Paramount creates reasonable guidelines? **At this time 15 July 2016, New Voyages does not plan to produce any new releases, vignettes or other material. We no longer maintain a New Voyages Facebook nor the Startreknewvoyages.com nor the startrekphase2.com, those will NOT will those be restarted in the future

3. Did ST:NV give up filming new voyages? **New Voyages has ceased production, by our own choice. I refer interested fans to the New Voyages Youtube page and Peter's stnv.de

4. Will we still be able to watch Torment of Destiny, Bread and Circuses, and the other new episodes currently in production? ** The status of these episodes is unknown at this time. James Cawley will only complete these three productions, Torment of Destiny: Bread and Circuses: and Origins IF and and when CBS will consider discussing the status of these in-progress episodes with James.

Again, monitor the STNV.de site for any future announcements.

The future is uncertain, but there are always possibilities.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by davesnow on 07-17-2016, 04:37 PM

It's good to have an update, but this is really sad news. It feels like Star Trek just died right before its 50th birthday.

I will take the licensing of the set tour as a glimmer of hope that something may change for the better in the future. It would really be good to see those last few episodes.

Many deep and sincere thanks for all the enjoyment James and the rest of you have brought us over the years, and of course: Live Long and Prosper.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by GaryEvans on 07-17-2016, 06:52 PM

James has worked at New Voyages fan films since 2002. I joined in 2006 right after the film with Walter Koenig was filmed. I joined when Of Gods and Men was announced as filming in Port Henry. I and 2 helpers wired that old studio the first week of July 2006 and then I worked as a Production Assistant, transport worker and set Electrician during OGaM. All of us at New Voyagers were there for so many firsts. Even Vic Mignogna acted in his first fan films at New Voyages. But along the way, the drive for ever more celebrity guests, more special effects and so much special post production and editing the fan films became expensive, time consuming, prone to delays and no long fun for any of the key volunteers. Crowdfunding looked like a way to ease the financial burden BUT quickly became a game of Perks with many donors only contributing for costly "perks"! Some even shopped for groups to support based upon who offered the most for the least donation. The aftermath of fulfilling perks for fans proved burdensome, too expensive and far more costly than crowd-funding sites indicated.

In Autumn 2015 we assessed the trends and decided our new goal was to maintain the sets and studio we were working so hard to complete. We were no longer willing to conduct Kickstarter style crowd funding. Fans no longer donated directly - just perk-laden crowd funding. Jams, Charles and I had identified several options.

Then at year's-end the Paramount-CBS lawsuit was filed. New Voyages discussed issues and decided to approach CBS about getting a tour license. Six months later and many negotiations later that plan resulted in a license agreement with CBS studios. We will not bring the sights, sounds and sets of the mid-1960s to fans from anywhere in this world! We have already been officially encouraged to consider adding wedding and wedding-vow-renewal options sand that is being planned and James Cawley made an official announcement Saturday 16 July via the Star Trek Tour Facebook page! That service is now being developed even as we ready to begin tour 30 Juy 2016!

Star Trek Tour is also working on other new and exciting possible events in conjunction with CBS and in compliance with our License Agreement! Watch for details at StarTrek.com, StarTrekTour.com and at www.facebook.com/StarTrekTour

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by sloehand on 08-01-2016, 08:39 PM

Its a sad time for Star Trek if you are not a fan of the Abrahms reboots! As a fan of TOS and New Voyages I am very disappointed that New Voyages is finished before there goal of the 2 missing seasons. I sure hope we get to see the 3 unfinished episodes! I respect James Cawleys decision to stop but I wish he would challenge this decision by CBS as I think its callous and shortsighted! There is room for fan films to coexist with Paramounts version.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by GaryEvans on 08-01-2016, 09:28 PM

Sloehand, the existing work remains and is freely available still. The episodes filmed, but not released are on hold. The New Voyages team is very busy getting the new Tour operation running. The majority of our crew is staying together. We will be having new adventures with Trek. Perhaps, one day, we can work with CBS to complete the three episodes that are unfinished. That stated, this is not the time for that discussion. Thus, those three unfinished episodes final status is yet to be determined.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Originally posted by gcatlin on 09-13-2016, 08:15 PM

This is a very sad time. I have greatly enjoyed all of the work put out under the Phase II/New Voyages banner since I first became aware of this venture in 2004. One can only hope that CBS/Paramount will adopt some reasonable rules in the future so that efforts like this one can continue. It can only serve to benefit all involved.